E-mail this article to
yourself or a friend.
Enter address:


More European companies opting for non-transgenic livestock feed

(March 5, 2002 – CropChoice news) -- Company statements from Belgium's three biggest retailers highlight continuing moves by the industry into non-genetically modified animal feed. The companies, Carrefour, Delhaize-Le-Lion and Colruyt, whot together control approximately 65 percent of the local retail market, made the separate written commitments in late 2001. The following is some of what they had to say.

  • Carrefour Belgium: "In the framework of the new 'Filière Qualité Carrefour' standards, we have systematically introduced the obligation not to use GM soya and/or maize, as well as all derivatives. This has been presented to our various suppliers involved in beef, veal, pork and poultry. Because of the current market situation for animal feed and taking into account some reluctant attitudes, we have given them individual timely objectives in order to enable them to find the useful raw materials and to be able to guarantee their origin.

    At the beginning of January 2002, this will already be achieved for a large share of our range. We have chosen the end of June 2002 as deadline to achieve the same for all our productions. This means that our demands are currently put into practice. Moreover, we ensure controls by means of traceability audits carried out by an independent organism. We regularly have qualitative analysis of feedstuffs carried out.

    Last, but not least, we co-ordinate our actions with our colleagues of the Carrefour Group who developed a specific supply chain for our group from Brazil. We inform our customers by means of in-store information, promotional leaflets and magazines."

  • Delhaize-Le-Lion: "First of all, in July, we asked all our suppliers of pork and beef meat to follow the SGS control protocol requiring the absence of GMOs (<1%). For our beef meat, the majority of our 'fatteners' already use feedstuffs without GMOs (<1%). In order to cover our whole range of beef products, we will have to wait until 1 January 2002. This concerns the 'fattening period', i.e. the last three months. After securing this guarantee, we will consider a progressive extension of the period during which animals are fed without GMOs.

    For our pork meat, the situation is similar. Nonetheless, we cannot give a definitive date since supply chains without GMOs are slower to develop in this sector. We regularly reiterate our demands to the sector and will make an evaluation with figures on 1 January 2002.

    We have long been in favour of animal feed without GMOs, but as you know, we have to face limited co-operation from the various federations from the sector upstream, which hamper this process. Nevertheless, some members of these federations are ready to co-operate and meet retailers' expectations".

  • Colruyt: "As we have told you already, the situation for eggs, poultry and poultry parts is the following: they come from animals fed 100% GMO-free.

    As far as pork meat is concerned, today approximately 75% of it comes from animals fed with GMO-free feedstuffs. The remaining 25% comes from suppliers that we are currently convincing to switch. The way it is looking at the moment, this should be done by the beginning of the New Year.

    For beef meat, we are currently at 10% certified GMO-free. We are currently putting pressure both on BEMEFA (the Belgian feed compounders federation) and our suppliers in order to raise this percentage here as well."

Two leading German poultry companies, Sprehe and Heidegold, have both recently confirmed that they are using non-GM feed products, as well.